Position Title: Steel Welder
Reporting Relationships: Shift Steel Fab. Foreman
To perform essential welding processes that is vital to the fabrication of our products. With the goals of maintaining a safe working environment by being aware of unsafe acts and conditions, maintaining a productive workplace, and producing a high quality product that exceeds general industry standards.
Essential Functions (Primary)
I. Maintain a safe work environment by:
Being familiar with all safety procedures associated with welding, cutting and metal working procedures. These include the use of personal protective equipment, the safe use of overhead cranes and rigging, the safe use of all plant equipment. A progressive training program with instruction in all areas mentioned above will be implemented.
II. Achieve Company productivity standards by:
Being on the floor and ready to perform your job, at the beginning of your shift, without delay. Plan ahead to reduce work stoppages caused by poor planning while gathering parts or performing work processes. If you have questions ask your Supervisor or trainer, before performing work in error. Reporting to work every day on time and giving your best effort while performing your job.
III Achieve company quality standards by:
Being familiar with the company quality standards, required work processes, including; welding, cutting, grinding, repair and material handling. Adhering to all stop/hold points and obtaining all required inspections for fit and weld quality. Having the ability to duplicate these quality standards on a consistent basis eliminating rework. And finally having ability to fill out all required documentation (Work Orders).
Essential Functions: (Secondary)
- At a minimum, welder must be proficient in welding in the GMAW Process. Additional experience with SMAW welding process and GTAW with Aluminum is an advantage.
- Must be able to perform groove and fillet welds consistent with our quality standards.
- Must be able to demonstrate welding ability by successfully completing a weld test that simulates a variety welds used in our product-line, prior to being hired.
- Must be proficient in the Oxy-fuel and Plasma cutting processes.
- Must be able to read basic blueprints, be familiar with basic welding symbols, and recognize basic weld discontinuities.
- Must be able to fabricate basic structures, to tolerance, in a timely manner.
- Make be proficient in reading a tape measure, a combination square, using a 2-3 pound dead-blow hammer, and have all in their possession at time of hire.
- All employees are required to wear steel toed shoes/boots.
- All employees are required to clean-up their work areas at the end of their shifts.
This is a critical position within the company; this person must possess good communication and leadership skills and have ability to lead by setting forth a positive example. A high sense of urgency must be present so that daily tasks are completed in a timely manner. An excellent attendance track record is very important in this position. Overtime will be expected from time to time as projects require (such as the annual physical inventory). A high level of organizational skills and managing several priorities simultaneously is the norm.
Scope of Authority:
This is a Production position with shared decision making involvement is not only helpful, but also encouraged to perform to the smooth operation of daily functions.
Delegation of Authority:
This position is to direct all members of the Steel Fabrication Department, as well as any operator of any equipment necessary to complete current task. In the absence of Plant Manager this position will attend 9:30 a.m. production meeting and to coordinate shipping dates. This position will have authority to operate the plant, in the absence of the Plant Manager.
Measurement of Performance:
Performance will be evaluated on: attendance, attitude, timely and accurate completion of the essential functions, willingness to assist with projects, and efficiency and accuracy in all tasks. This is not an “all inclusive” list, rather an overview of the most common performance evaluation practices.
Minimum Education Requirements:
High School Graduate with three years experience in welding and fabrication.
Please complete Employment Application and mail or drop off to:
685 Hull Rd.
Mason, MI 48854
For more information: Please call 800-552-8800.